Monday, June 1, 2015

Quick Trip to the Eye Doctor

My eyes are all kinds of fkkd.
 
So for whatever reason my eyes don't want to be made up anymore. Every time I wear makeup these days, I get a stye in my waterline. It's literally just a little bubble, but it's itchy as hell and bothersome as fuh.
Thankfully, Ryosuke tells me that I am pretty without makeup and probably prefers that I can't wear it anyway. He says my eyes look alien huge and it's weird. I don't mind either way, because it's easier to not have to take off mascara all the time.
 
Anyway, as of a couple of months ago, whenever I was driving and it was really sunny--my eyes would hurt really bad and start tearing up and have to shut my eyes while I looked like I was crying. It was really bothersome and interfering with driving, and since I wear contacts I figured it was because I wasn't changing them often enough (the two week pair). So I made sure I put on new ones, and it would only get worse. I gave up on my contacts and just wore my big harry potter glasses for the past month and a half.
 
Last week on Tuesday/Wednesday? I finally decided to see if I could wear my contacts again. But by lunch time, my eye was itchy and sure enough, I saw the beginning of a little bubble in my waterline. I quickly took them out and threw them away since I had brought my glasses, I went the rest of the day in them.
 
I knew that that was the last straw and I needed to go to the eye doctor, so I asked my other teachers where they suggested and it just so happened that there was a location right near my house! It was a new place and the teacher who sits next to me also goes there. Though I was warned that I might wait for two hours but to try anyway since it was so close and revered.
 
I walked in and as most doctors' offices in my town, you take off your shoes and put on the provided slippers. I asked how long it would take and they said about an hour, well that's better than two I figured and started to fill out the usual form for visiting the doctor--'Why are you here' (i.e. what hurts/wrong), 'Do you have an allergies to medication' etc.
 
I only actually waited about twenty minutes though! It was lovely, and I was quickly brought in to get my eyes checked out. For those familiar seeing any sort of eye doctor, you know about the air spat in your eye machine, and look at the air balloon machine. They also had another machine that took pictures of my eyes and I guess since my eyes are closer to my nose than most Japanese, I had to sort of contort my face to take the picture properly.
 
Then they had to figure out how blind I am.
In America, we have to tell the letter down the row.
In Japan, you tell the direction a letter C has it's opening.
Up, Down, Left or Right.
They only show one at a time, and it would get progressively smaller.
I thought it was the coolest thing ever, mostly because instead of this giant machine
 
 
The nice nurse put on these lenseless glasses on me and started putting lenses in that made me see better and better. She then asked me what I could see--the usual questions. I then used my own glasses and put a flap each eye to see how well my glasses helped me see.
 
After this process I waited for a couple of minutes for the doctor to see me (only one of course).
 
 
Upon entering he confirmed my Japanese ability and had my put my face in this machine that would help him see the inside of my eyes. A couple drops of who knows because trust me I'm a doctor and he took a couple pictures.
 
Turns out I have the dry eye.
(Totally aware I used the right now)
It's not too severe, but I can imagine that since I don't blink enough and I probably do have a bit of dry eye--my eyes have progressively deteriorated.
(I concentrate too hard and forget to blink.)
 
So I was prescribed two different eye drops,
 
one  to use for about two weeks
(two bottles..this one I've been using for a week already)
 
and
 
another to use for one day that would be bitter tasting as hell and evidently make me sick to my stomach.
 
Since your eyes, nose and throat are essentially connected--if it tastes bad, you'll know within at least five minutes of putting drops. The scary thing about them was that they were a white color and for me, instantly tasted more bitter than ANY drops I've ever had...not pleasant whatsoever.
 
I will be pleading with the doctor to not make me take those white drops ever again.
 
He told me to come back in a week or two and see about my eyes. If they don't improve, I might have to wear my contacts only on the weekends/sort periods of time and if they do--well, we'll see during the next appointment.
 
I asked to make an appointment but, for some reason, this place doesn't make appointments--just walk-ins. So I have to hope that this week when I go, that it doesn't get so crowded.
 
The lovely thing about Japanese hospitals/doctors offices is that the pharmacy is almost always right next door. So you can be sure to just walk a little bit and pick up your medication!
 
I've been to quite a few pharmacy's and should probably make a post about them, quite interesting I think. But that's for another day!
 
I'll try to take pictures on my next visit!
 
Thanks for reading!
 


2 comments:

  1. You just reminded me that I need to get my eyes checked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheap and thorough! I have an updated post I need to write up with pictures of the cool glasses :D

      Delete